Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Sir, I am a student of northeastern and i want to apply to a

Customer Question

Hello Madam/Sir,
I am a student of northeastern and i want to apply to a SSN, but i don't have a job. If Job is not there, then how have to fill the social security number ?
Submitted: 11 months ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I assume you are not a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. What is your current status in the U.S.? F-1?

If you are currently on F-1, how much time do you have left before you graduate? Have you considered CPT or OPT? Please respond as you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. Thank you.

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If you do not have authorization to work, you would not be able to get a social security number. To get authorization to work, you can apply for CPT or OPT as a student. Here is a link:

https://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training

You would ask your Designated School Officer (DSO) for assistance with this.

In place of a social, you could apply for an ITIN. Here is a link to that:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

If you don't have an ITIN or social, leave that information blank on any form that you fill out.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!