How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3827
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a current F1 student at USA with a company created by

Customer Question

I am a current F1 student at USA with a company created by me and managed solely by me, I do not work for my own company.When employed at another company with approved CPT, I was curious on how companies verify CPT, and tried to test E Verify of my own company with my own CPT (at another company). It shows that my verification was send to DHS for further verification and I am scared. What worst consequences will it have and what shall I do now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

First, as an F1 student you are not permitted engage in any unlawful employment. That means providing any productive service of any nature that might be a job that normally a person would be paid to do. Managing a company would fall under that category.

You have me confused about work for another company under approved CPT and testing E Verify of your company (at another company). This is not computing for me.

I need you to explain in more clear detail what action you took. I don't want to guess because this is to critical to your maintaining your status and your entire future in the US.

So please take a bit more time and set out in clear, logical detail all the information about any and all action you have taken.

Thank you. I want to help you and by misunderstanding anything, I might hurt you.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes i did minimal management "work" for my own company without employment authorization. So I d like to know the worst result of DHS knowing that.2. Since I could not work for my own company, I asked another one who had business relationship with me to hire me and give my school CPT application, so some work related to both of us I can do legally. School approved it. The other company, unlike my own, does not have E Verify and I am supposed to teach them, since hiring me is a favor they gave me. I tried to put my own info in my E Verify website and thought it will pop out something like "this person is not allowed to work at this location because his work authorization is at another business", and these screenshots would be perfect to use. However, it popped up this screenshot which scares me a lot. I literally pushed myself to the scrutiny of DHS.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Please be specific and define the management duties you performed.

I need to see the screen shot.

Did you actually try to register your company on the E Verify site?

Did you also attempt to register the other company on the E Verify site?

You know what you did and what came back to you via the website but I don't. You are not giving me the details I need. You cannot assume I know what you know, that is why I am asking you for details details details. My answer will be based on those.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see, thank you very much Judithscreenshot is attached in original question.I did register my company on the E Verify site long ago.I did not attempt to register the other company on the E Verify site.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I don't see any link to a screen shot. I have invested a lot of time trying to pull out of you the details I need to answer you but you are not giving me what I need. I will opt out of this question and allow another expert to asist you.

Related Immigration Law Questions