Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I applied passport in September of 2015 and was asked to

Customer Question

I applied for a passport in September of 2015 and was asked to provide supplimentary information. I provided what I could of this request based on what I was told may work by the passport processor. This included my marriage license, 10 years worth of tax returns, a copy of my work ID, my vehicle registration, and other documents for identification. I was then informed that I would need to submit yearbook photos from when I was 6-12 years old. After contacting my elementary and middle schools, I was unsuccesful in locating a yearbook to even scan. I am fairly certain, at this point, that my passport application will be denied. So two questions; can I appeal this denial? And is it too early for me to get a lawyer now? Should I wait until I get the denial letter?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I am assuming you mean a U.S. Passport. Do you have other proof of U.S. Citizenship? What proof it that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I submitted my birth certificate and my drivers license with the initial request. Other than that, I have my social security card.

But you were born in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was.

Then I don't know why they are asking for all those things. Were you born in a hospital or in a private home with a nursemaid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I was born in a hospital. They say it's because there was something wrong with my driver's license, but still won't take any of the other evidence. I really don't know what to do.

But what did they say was wrong with your drivers license that could cause this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I asked the representative last, he said that there could be an issue if my driver's license is less than a year old. I had just moved to Maryland from Virginia so of course my license was new. But he couldn't confirm if that was the problem and the actual processor wouldn't tell me anything at all.

Ok. And you used a service to apply or how are you applying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied through the United States Postal service. I made sure to verify that they were an acceptance facility before I applied with them. I took the pictures there, paid, and she sent my certified birth certificate and a copy of my drivers license.

You may end up just having to apply at a Regional Passport Agency, but first let me ask, when was the last time that you heard from the postal service about your passport?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
December 20th I think, the week of Christmas. On a Monday I believe. After I sent in the supporting documentation.

Ok. Do you have a planned trip? When?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a planned trip in December the 6th through the 11th. The passport didn't come through in time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you're right. I'll just have to reapply after I've had my new license for a year

I don't think the license has anything to do with it and even then, at worst it would be 6 months to allow the area that you are in to have jurisdiction. I just don't believe that agent knows what he is doing. I would be a little more patient and contact them every few weeks. If they cannot resolve it, I would just go to the Regional Passport Agency and re-apply. They should know what they are doing and your drivers license not being a year old is not supposed to matter. Here is a link:

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

So don't give up. Just pursue it with patience and reapply if necessary.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Nicole. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!