Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My Ecuadorian wife has received her immigration visa to the

Customer Question

My Ecuadorian wife has received her immigration visa to the USA. She has until March 8th to enter the country: 3-part auestion:a. Is there any process to extend this entry date?
b. After entering the country is there a minimum stay required before she can return to EC without invalidating her visa.?
c. Are we required to report to the destination address given in our application?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you. Please view this as a casual conversation. We will chat back and forth until I have all of the necessary information I need to give you a thorough answer.

Once you have received your answer, you will be asked to rate my customer service. This is very important. I do not get a salary here. Your rating is the only way I get credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

When you say she has until March 8, are you referring to the petition validity? Or are you saying she got the immigrant visa already, but it expires on March 8?

Why can't she travel by that time? Due to circumstances beyond her control? Or because she does not want to?

Which destination address? The one you referred to as the home address?

If so, why is she not going there? Have you moved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. She has her visa. It expires 3/8
2. She can travel but there are financial considerations involved...we are owed money here. It may not be forthcoming.
3. Yes, home address and mailing address for green card. We intend to locate on St. Simon's Island, GA where we have employment opportunities. Made clear in our petition.

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

QUESTION 1: a. Is there any process to extend this entry date?

ANSWER: It depends. In this case, I do not believe she would be eligible.

According to the foreign affairs manual, "An immigrant visa may be replaced under the original number during the fiscal year in which the original visa was issued for an immigrant who establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he was unable to use the original immigrant visa during the period of its validity because of reasons beyond his control and for which he was not responsible... provided that the immigrant is found by the consular officer to be eligible for an immigrant visa and the immigrant pays again the statutory fees for an application and an immigrant visa."

Being owed money, in my experience, will not be a basis for a finding that circumstances beyond her control did not allow her to come to the US within the validity dates of the visa. Sure it is not ideally for her to do so, but that does not make it a circumstance beyond her control. It would be something more along the lines of a medical emergency or the like.

QUESTION 2: After entering the country is there a minimum stay required before she can return to EC without invalidating her visa.?

ANSWER: No. But she should get the I-551 stamp at the port of entry, as temporary proof of her resident status, so that she can leave the US and return, without issue. The green card itself will take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive, after her arrival in the US.

She should not remain outside of the US for more time than she is in the US, in any given year. Otherwise, they can question her intent to be a permanent resident.

QUESTION 3: Are we required to report to the destination address given in our application?

ANSWER: No. But a change of address MUST be filed with the USCIS within 10 days of the change becoming effective. The USCIS needs to know where she lives at all times.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

I have not yet received a rating for my customer service. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.