socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have met a woman in russia last sept (i am from the usa)

Customer Question

I have met a woman in russia last sept (i am from the usa) we met again recently in jamaica, now we would like to apply for a b2 visa for her to visit where i live and the surrounding area. We have planned an itinerary for her visit places to see and so on. Is it ok to say she will be staying with me as a friend, how long a stay can we ask for ? I realize its for 6 months max, we would like to make it as long as possible.
thanks jeff
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

It would be better if the woman pays rent during her stay. Otherwise, it may appear that the real intention of the visit is that you both intend marry each other. If USCIS believes this to be true, then the visa will not be granted, and you will be advised to seek a K-2 fiance' visa, instead.

Having a lease agreement with the woman would help, as would her ability to prove sufficient assets or income to pay fair market rent for her stay.

In short, while the visitor must apply for the visa, your goal is to present yourself as an individual whose only interest is to rent a room to someone who you met on a visit to Jamaica.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!