Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Tai, i am a LPR and I file a petition son, but he will turn

Customer Question

Customer: tai, i am a LPR and I file a petition for my son, but he will turn 21 in march 2016, how would that affect him receiving a immigrant visa?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I receive my immigrant visa on oct 31, 2015, I filed a I 130 application for my son on Nov 13, 2015. The process take 5 months or so to be approved, but by that time he would turn 21. How would that affect the process?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Immigration Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: At the time he is eligible to immigrate to the US, if his age, minus the amount of time it took to process the I-130, is less than 21 years old, then he can still come.

But if, at the time he is eligible to immigrate to the US, his age minus the processing time of the I-130, is 21 years old or older, then he is not eligible to immigrate at that time. His category will change and the wait time for him immigrate will change accordingly.

Does that make sense? If so, please make sure to give me a positive rating for my efforts to help you. If it does not make sense, please let me know and I can continue to assist you. You do not have to give a rating if you need more information.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond or give me credit so that I know what to do next.