Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

Dear Judith: I have a question - does a legal separation

Customer Question

Dear Judith:
I have a question - does a legal separation leads to the loss of a G4 dependent visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As a G-4 holder any court ruling of separation or divorce would terminate the visa status. If there is no legal finding of the divorce/separation by the court, the the G-4 continues and the person at this point could actually file their I-360 for green card under special immigrant status and that is usually granted fairly quickly as long as the person meets the residency requirements in the US. See: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-360.pdf