Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am a US citizen and am preparing to apply father and

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and am preparing to apply for my father and stepmother to immigrate to the US, who are currently residing in Brazil. i am seeking clarification as to whether I need to process 2 separate fees (1 per application or if my stepmother can derive benefits through my father). I also want clarification if I will need to file any separate document with the national visa department or if once the I-130 is approved they will ever contacted automatically.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did your father marry your step-mother before you turned 18?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did.

Ok. Good. Then there is only one issue. There are no derivative beneficiaries for immediate relatives of U.S. Citizens. So this means that you would have to file an I-130 for each parent and step-parent. Once the I-130 is approved for each, USCIS will forward the approval to the National Visa Center (NVC) and you will do two separate processes for each. It can take around 9 months to a year to do the I-130 and NVC processes. USCIS will automatically forward the case to the NVC and the NVC will begin sending you letters that you would respond to each one following the instructions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Michele. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!