Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
26296561

My fiancee and i have just been appro k1 visa and after her

Customer Question

my fiancee and i have just been appro for the k1 visa and after her interview will be coming in a few months. i am getting a new apartment where we will live. i plan to put the lease in my name since obviously she doesn't have a drivers license or social security #. can i just put the lease un my name? if she does have to sign what paperwork if any would she need to get added to the apartment lease or does she even has to sign?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

Generally, a foreign faincee can be added to the lease with the landlord's permission, but it is important to at least have the fiancee listed as additional occupant, to avoid any issues with the landlord once the fiancee arrives and moved into the rental unit and if the fiancee is simply added as listed occupant, then generally the fiancee would not have to sign the lease.

Also, it is important to have the fiancee name listed on the lease either as tenant or occupant, since USCIS will be requiring proof of joint residence, once the fiancee is married and application for adjustment of status is made.

I wish you the best of luck!