Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am a US Citizen working overseas in UAE I am married to a

Customer Question

I am a US Citizen working overseas in UAE I am married to a Jordanian. Ee have been martied for 4 years now and have a 3 years old daughter. I want to apply for a green card for her the fastest way what do I need to do? Where do I need to apply? How long
would it take? Please let me know in details addresses, point of contact, process steps We both are residents in UAE.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Do you intend to come back and live int he US permanently?

Does she?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we both do but not right away may be after one year

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

QUESTION: I want to apply for a green card for her the fastest way what do I need to do?

ANSWER: There is only one way. You need to file form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. It will be pressed within the US and then sent to the national visa center. You will be instructed by the NVC to submit form I-864, Affidavit of Support. She will be instructed to apply for the immigrant visa with the online DS-260.

The affidavit of support requires you to be residing in the US, or to show that you will be taking up residence by the time your family immigrates. You can do that by showing a job in the US and/or residence that you can call home.

She will have to undergo a medical examination and an interview at the consulate in UAE.

Once the visa is issue, she will come to the US and become a permanent resident upon successful entry. She will receive her green card within 2 months.

QUESTION: Where do I need to apply?

ANSWER: You need to file it to the USCIS office in the US.

USCIS

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

QUESTION: How long would it take?

ANSWER: 9 to 12 months.

Here is an excellent resource for the process: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/immediate-relative.html

The following is a link to the flow charts of steps and what to expect. You can click on each section for more detailed information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process.html

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information but I heard that there is an office in Jordan which where I can send the form I-130 is that correct?
she is also Jordanian but I donot have a resident visa there
could the form be filed electronically or by e-mail or do I must mailed it to the US?
another things to mention she has a visa type R class B1/B2 and will expire 1/1/2017

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, that is not correct. Yes there is a field office in Amman, but you reside in the UAE. The office with jurisdiction over UAE is in Athens. And the Athens office is only available for I-130s of people who reside in Athens.

If you are a US citizen and you are in the Athens jurisdiction, like you, then you can only file in Athens if the Athens field office director determines that there are exceptional circumstances. Please review this document for what is considered an exceptional circumstances: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2012/May/DOS-I130May1412.pdf

So if you do not meet those requirements, then the I-130 must be filed in the US, as I explained before.

Thank you!