Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

What us the statute of limitations for assault In

Customer Question

What us the statute of limitations for sexual assault In California. Mt friend was intimately touched by her yoga instructor.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Are you looking for the criminal or civil statute of limitations? Or both?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Both

How old was the Yoga instructor at the time of the incident?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She was 18 he was 42.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can you text or email me the answer. Thanks!

Ok. A criminal case for sexual assault has a 6 year statute of limitation in the state of California. If it is considered a lesser felony, then 3 years. As far as a civil law suit, 2 years. So if I was this person, I would contact the state prosecutor as quickly as possible and file a civil suit as quickly as possible as well. However, a civil law suit can be tricky. Unless the defendant has lots of money and is collectible, meaning that money can be recovered from the defendant, an attorney will probably want a few thousand dollars up front to file the law suit. If the defendant has money, then an attorney could take the case on contingency meaning that they will only get paid if they win and they will take a percentage of the win.

Unfortunately, the website does not allow me to text or email you directly, but we can continue here without additional charge.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what constitutes a felony and a misdemeanor
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what is a lesser felony groping, touching

That really depends on what the facts of the case are and what the prosecutor feels they can go forward with in court. How long has it been since this groping or touching? Why has the Yoga instructor waited?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!