Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am on a student visa. my dad passed away so i went to

Customer Question

hi. I am on a student visa. my dad passed away so i went to india without school's signature on the i20 letter. i was withdrawn from all the courses because i dont have attendance. That means my sevis is terminated. My university is going to give me a
new i20. But the question is do i need to go for the visa again because i am on my new sevis. First time i got my visa was valid for 5 years. Now the point is as my sevis is terminated and i20 is terminated do i need to apply for a new visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. You left me a negative rating before which was uncalled for. A negative rating is generally reserved for rude or unprofessional experts. I was not rude nor unprofessional to you. All I was trying to do was help and answer your questions, so why did you leave a negative rating for me and opt me out so that I could not respond to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought you closed the messages and didnt answer my questions completely. thats why i gave you negative.

Your question does NOT close. Remember, at the end I put this statement:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge.

So I could have continued with you. All you had to do was just reply there. When you hit the opt out button, it also prevented me from responding to you to see if you had additional questions. Can you go back to that question and opt me back in? If you can, please do so and that way I can answer all of your questions and then you can give me a positive rating which erases the negative rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i will try to do it

Thank you. If not, I can ask the administrators also. And I can put in a refund of this question so that you are not charged again. For me to respond to you on the other posted question, you have to opt me back in. Please look for an option to do that. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did request for you there but i couldnt do that. I can give you good rating here if you can answer me here

The administrators will open it up soon. In the meantime, what additional questions do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my university had withdrawn all my classes which is sevis violation. that is the reason my sevis is terminated. so new i20 and new sevis means new visa right?

But you left the U.S. before you dropped out of your classes, before they withdrew your classes, before they terminated your SEVIS, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah. but the university is telling me to go to visa process again. i really dont get that. They say getting a new sevis number terminating of visa and applying for a new one

I do not believe it is necessary for you to apply for a new visa because you left before violating any of the conditions of the visa. But let's say you follow what the school tells you, why don't you want to apply for a new visa?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried if i will get rejected because initially my sponsor was my dad. now that he is passed away now i need to choose a guardian. But i have good assets and bank balances for me. now i am worried if i will be rejected because of all this complications. I dont want to go through this process again.

Well, that's the point of using your new I-20 and the old visa, to avoid having to go through that process again. If you don't do it that way, then you will have to apply for a new visa and show that you have non-immigrant intent and the funds to pay for school, room and board for at least a year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you suggest me anything

Suggest anything in what regard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like can you do some research on things and see if there is any other way to come and continue education without having to go through the visa process.

The J-1, but it is still a visa process and the J-1 is not a good visa to have. The F-1 is better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont want to go with any visa process. is there any chance of using new i20 and old visa for sure. can you verify that and tell me

That's the first thing that I told you and you gave me a negative rating and I keep repeating myself. No one can give you a guarantee of entry because you are not a U.S. Citizen, but I explained why you should be able to use the old visa and that's because you never violated the terms and thus it should not have been cancelled. The only way to verify that it has not been cancelled is to contact the U.S. Embassy and ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.

Sure, no problem. When they reopen the other question, I will send you a message there if you do not mind so that you can leave a positive rating to erase the old one and then I will put in for a refund of this question so that you are not charged twice. Is that ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure

Thank you! I appreciate that.