Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Judith, My company is transfering me to the USA on a L1A

Customer Question

Hi Judith,
My company is transfering me to the USA on a L1A visa this April. I am married and have two kids (10 and 12). I am assuming they will enter on an L2 status and join me in the states once their school year finish.
After 15 years of marriage, sadly my wife and I are considering a divorce (this would be done in Spain or the UK). What happens with their L2 status once the divorce comes through? (we have not filled yet). Will my wife lose her L2 status? Will they need to leave the USA then? (she is British and my two sons have double nationality: Spanish and British). Would it make any difference if we have joint custody of the kids?
Thanks for you help!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

I had emergency spinal cord surgery sat am. It may be a day or two before I can respond.

Judith