Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Can you travel outside the U.S. after you have applied but

Customer Question

Can you travel outside the U.S. after you have applied for citizenship but your resident card has expired?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

You can, but you need documentation to prove your status. To get this while it's pending, you should first make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office. You can do that here https://infopass.uscis.gov/ - Just select "you need information" when it asks options. Print it out.

At the appointment, let the officer know that you need to travel and your N-400 is pending and your green card is expired. Bring your valid passport. They will stamp your passport with the I-551 to extend your green card so you can return to the US after travel. You will also take your expired green card on your trip.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.