Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I came as an international student in the United States and

Customer Question

Hello, I came as an international student in the United States and I was going to Houston Community College here in Houston, Texas. I had already completed two semesters with them and this fall 2015 semester was my third. I was taking classes regularly and a few weeks back I had been dropped out of one of my classes due to a system error by the college. I had been running to their international office and they would not help me out with anything and the professor himself was shocked because I was doing just fine in his class but I wasnt re-instated so I am about to finish the semester with below 12 semester credit hours which means I am out of status. I really need help with this situation and I dont know what to do I really want to maintain my status here in the United States and I wish to complete my education here aswell. Can you please guide me and tell me what should I do? Thankyou
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Well, one thing is the school allowing you back into that class. Another thing is the immigration aspect. Did you speak to the Designated School Officer (DSO) about this issue?

Please respond here. Did you speak to the Designated School Officer (DSO) about this issue?

Do not post a new thread. Just please reply on this thread.

Ok. I am just trying to save you money by marking your newer posts as duplicates. I will assume that you have not spoken to your DSO yet. You should speak to them and ask them to help you do a reinstatement of your status. This obviously was not your fault. You should get letters from your professor and registration or whomever else that explains that this was an error that you did not have any control over. Here is an official link:

http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/docView/FR/HTML/FR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-79324/0-0-0-85465/0-0-0-87514/0-0-0-87971.html

So as long as it has been less than 5 months since you fell out of status and you can prove that this was beyond your control, you should be able to get reinstatement and take a full term next semester, but don't waste time and make sure you speak to your DSO about this because they are in the best position to help you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Nabila. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!