Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am an F1 OPT student, I have enlisted in US Army Reserve

Customer Question

I am an F1 OPT student, I have enlisted in US Army Reserve through Mavni program. Now I want to take entry level separation from US Army and recruiter said yes to it. Now i am scared about my non-immigrant status because I have showed immigrant intent already by signing the contract. Is this going to affect my future OPT status or any other status?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Did you continue to go to school and maintain your nonimmigrant student status?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have completed my Master's degree. Now I am working on OPT status for a company.

So you mean to say that you are no longer pursuing expedited citizen ship through the military?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to come out of the Army.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

QUESTION: Is this going to affect my future OPT status or any other status?

ANSWER: I don't see why it would be. The intent in joining MAVNI is to enlist in the national interest; the intent is not necessarily become a US citizen. That is just a benefit of joining the military in the national interest. So one could argue that you intended to join the military, not to immigrate.

But it does not really matter all that much. In the end, you have to apply for some benefit if you want to stay in the US. And you already joined MMAVNI. You cannot really change the past, now, so you will eventually have to try to apply and await the result.

I know this can be confusing. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.