Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

Dear lawers, I am an F1 student I would like to invest in

Customer Question

Dear lawers ,
I am an F1 student
I would like to invest in stock market. I know I am allowed to put my money there however, my major is health scinces and I work on campus.
How many buy and sell transactions I can intiate per week without violating my visa.
Please if your answer is "you are not allowed to sell stocks then please ignor my question!"
Please make your answer about how many times I can buy per week
Hiw many sell transactions I can make per week.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

If you are looking for a specific number, the law doesn't say. So since there isn't a specific number, will you be happy with information on what you can and cannot do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mr, Senmartine !
I am aware of that I cannot engage in daily reading. Moreover , I am aware of the legal definition of the daily trader . therefore, I do not have any further questions for you . and I hope someone can give me a limitation to the number of trades I can make per week .

Did you not understand what I said? The law does NOT say. So no one can give you a specific number because it does not exist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you answer is not the answer I am looking for . there is always someone who knows something others do not . thank you

As I said, the law does not have a specific number for you. I would bet money on it as I have been in this field for over 13 years, but that's ok. If you find someone that gives you a specific number, make sure they point you to the law or regulation that says that specific number and then come back and let me know as I would love to learn something new. BUT, if you cannot find the law or regulation, then please come back and tell me I was correct. I have had this question before and have answered it to the satisfaction of other customers, but it would be easier for me if I could let future customers come to this response and see what happened here. Thank you, ***** ***** and I hope to hear from you either way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank I surely will !

Thank you. I sincerely ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please , repost my question so others can see it !

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, the previous expert is correct, there is no specific number, but as you are here on an F1 visa your primary purpose is to study not to work. Thus, you could not engage in trading of shares on a regular basis that would fall under the definition of "day trading."

Under SEC guidelines, "Day traders rapidly buy and sell stocks throughout the day in the hope that their stocks will continue climbing or falling in value for the seconds to minutes they own the stock, allowing them to lock in quick profits." See: http://www.sec.gov/answers/daytrading.htm

So, if the activity you are engaging in would resemble the definition of day trading, you could not do so on your F1 visa unless you receive an Employment Authorization Document, since day trading is considered an occupation/employment.