Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

The Son of Family Friends in Morocco Wants to Come to the

Customer Question

The Son of Family Friends in Morocco Wants to Come to the USA to study in an esl program he already got his I-20 now he needs to get his visa would it be a wise choice for me to sponsor him by writing a letter to the consulate or is it not a good idea
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 27 he already got denied once but he is trying again because the school told him sometimes it takes more then 1 try that's why I was wondering if a letter from me would be beneficial to him
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Why was he denied the first time?

Has he eve held a good job long term?

What ties does he have to Morocco that will compell him to go back there at the end of his ESL?

What is the purpose of him learning English?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you reply he has his parents and siblings there he runs a car wash in Casablanca and he was denied I guess for not showing enough proof to return home , he wants to learn English and to see the USA but I know that he would return to his country because of his close tie with his family
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delayed answer. I was traveling.. Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes, it would be most likely that he was refused his visa based on 214b lack of intent to return to home country because of several reasons.

He is young male, single, does not have a professional job and does not have a financial stake at risk should he fail to return to Morocco.

And now with the world in turmoil,, coming from an Islamic country puts him at even greater likelihood for refusal because of the fear of recruitment by ISIS.

This is an honest answer, not my opinion, but the prejudice we as a group of immigration lawyers are trying to counter daily.

Even my sister-in-law who has been here 30 years and is a US citizen is experiencing prejudice.

In addition, there are English language schools in Casablanca. He would be far better off becoming more proficient with the language there and then applying to a community or junior college to study a technical trade such as auto mechanics or begin work towards a bachelor degree in an area of interest to him.

With his lack of definitive educational goal and just the desire to learn English, and all the other points against him, it is highly unlikely he will receive the F1 for English language school even with your agreement to provide his financial support and lodging, as well as tuition.

This is an honest answer. I owe you that. These are very bad times with visa refusals increasing, not only in Islamic countries but also in Western Europe depending on one's background. Sad? very. UnAmerican? Some say definitely. But it is today's reality, even more so that it was a month ago.

I read the DOD and Dept of State bulletins and the picture is dismal. There is even talk of taking away the visa waiver program from our Ally countries, and they from us, going back to everyone who wants to travel being required to apply for a visa and go through security clearances.

I am only the messenger so please do not take this as my personal view of the visa situation. There is only so much protestation we as a group of immigration lawyers can voice,, but our Congress is a far louder voice. You may want to contact your Senator and Congressional representation and let them know you do not feel they should oppose immigration reform and should not support stricter visa measures.

Here is a h***** *****nk for you

http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Again, I believe there is an option and that is to do the ELS in Casablanca and come here to do a technical program at a junior college or community college, perhaps as a lead into a professional degree.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith