How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 111657
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, I think I have a warrant in Ottawa from 10 yrs

Customer Question

Customer: Bill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I have a warrant in Ottawa from 10 yrs ago. I have been traffic stopped several times, renewed my passport but have had no issues. I want to go to U.S for a weekend. Also travelled internationally several times without isssues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it could be employer related fraud. I have left the country and come back every year but no issues. Now I want to go to U.S for a weekend.
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Are you asking about being able to leave Canada with being arrested or about being able to enter the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About being able to enter U.S?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am living in Canada for past 10 yrs without any issues. I am primarily asking about being able to enter U.S?
Expert:  retireddebra replied 1 year ago.

I will have to ask the site to move this to the US law list then. I'm a lawyer in Canada and cannot answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I be arrested at U.S border crossing? I mean if they know I have a warrant, will they just deny me entry or will they refer me to Canadian police?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is a valid and active warrant in the criminal computer system, when you get to the US Border, it will come up in their computer and you will be detained until they contact the issuing agency to determine whether or not the warrant is still valid and whether or not they want to come and pick you up on the warrant. If the agency validates the warrant and wants to come and pick you up, they will turn you over to Canadian Immigration to await the Ottawa police to come and get you.
If you have been stopped by the police several times and nothing has come up, it is likely the warrant has not been put into the computer or has been withdrawn.

Related Immigration Law Questions