Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Updating petition status of a spouse from F2A to IR1. I am

Customer Question

Updating petition status of a spouse from F2A to IR1. I am in the process of getting an immigration visa for my wife. I have filed an I-130 form being a permanent resident. The I-130 is approved. Now I am citizen and want to update status from spouse of permanent resident to spouse of a citizen to expedite the visa process. To do so I have sent a letter to NVC to inform them about my status change. It has been 45 days now since I have sent a letter, but they claim that they still have to received it. I have sent another email and FEDEX mail 15 days ago, and they still claim that they have not received it. Please advise what should I do now?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did you send this with tracking? Also, did you send a copy of your Naturalization Certificate? And what is the Priority Date on your I-130 and where was your spouse born?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a tracking number for both my letters. I did send the copy of my naturalization certificate. Priority date is May 29, 2015. Spouse was born in Moscow, Russia.

When was the I-130 approved? It couldn't have been too long ago. And when did you take your oath ceremony.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I-130 has been approve June 24, 2015. My oath ceremony was Oct 26, 2015.

So you filed around May 29, 2015 and you got an approval of the I-130 in less than a month after filing? That seems very unlikely. Do you have a case number ***** the NVC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a case number ***** nvc. I have a notice date of June 24 on I-797 notice.

Well, you can either wait a little while longer to see if they register it which I would probably wait another 15 days at least, or you can use your new U.S. Citizen status to good use and contact a U.S. Congressman that should be willing to help and earn your vote. Remember that you have three of them, two U.S. Senators and one U.S. Representative, so if one is not very helpful, you have two others. Here is a link:

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

They have staff dedicated to such matters and should be able to contact the NVC for you to find out what is going on.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Nikolai. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!