Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am currently in the military stationed in Korea. I

Customer Question

I am currently in the military stationed in Korea. I recently married my German spouse who is currently living in Germany. Is she eligible for a SSN? Can I apply even though I am not stateside? What documents are needed to apply?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

First, thank you for your service to our country. It is much appreciated.

As to your question, generally speaking, she should have no need for one if she isn't in the U.S. Take a look at this official link:

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

Are you planning to petition for her any time soon so that she can come to the U.S.? Why do you want her to have a Social Security Number at this time?