Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I having been in the US since I was 14 years old about 14

Customer Question

I having been in the US since I was 14 years old about 14 years ago i'm 28 now. But I only got my green card about two years ago. Do I have to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship or can i go ahead and do it now?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Yes, your clock starts to count the 5 years from the date of adjustment of status on your I-551 resident alien card.

You may file 90 days prior to that date.

None of your time in the prior to becoming a US resident counts towards the continuous physical presence of 5 years unless you got Asylum and the one year of asylum before getting your resident status does count.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.