Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I've been in the OPT period, and I lost my EAD card 2 weeks

Customer Question

I've been in the OPT period, and I lost my EAD card 2 weeks ago.
I would like to replace it as soon as possible.
I gathered the information through the USCIS website to replace is I need,
Form I-765
$380 check or money
Copy of I-20
Copies of biographical page of passport, US visa, and I-94
2 passport-size photos
Copies of any previously issued EAD cards .
Here's the question,
1. Do I need anything else to send USCIS?
2. Do I need to obtain the recommendation for USCIS first from my international counselor like when I applied this OPT for the first time?
3. I didn't take a photocopy of my previous EAD cards, but I have the letter when it was authorized/received. Could I use it instead of the photocopy?
Thank you so much,
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

QUESTION 1: Do I need anything else to send USCIS?

ANSWER: Provide a statement or letter describing the loss. This is very simple - do not overthink it. Explain that is was lost and the last time you remember seeing it.

Make sure to provide copies of all I-20s and all I-94s available.

QUESTION 2: Do I need to obtain the recommendation for USCIS first from my international counselor like when I applied this OPT for the first time?

ANSWER: No.

QUESTION 3: I didn't take a photocopy of my previous EAD cards, but I have the letter when it was authorized/received. Could I use it instead of the photocopy?

ANSWER: In the future, make sure to have a copy of EVERYTHING. As for this case, the copy of the EAD is not required, but is helpful. Check with the DSO, as you might have given them a copy at some point. If not, no big deal. Send in a copy of the approval notice and an explanation that you do not have a copy of the EAD itself.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, I will send all of them as soon as possible.
Could I ask one last question?
In the Form I-765, there is a question #11 "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization
from USCIS?" Does it mean I should cite about the information which my original EAD card was granted?
(e.g. ST ALBANS VT FIELD OFFICE 02/26/2015 Results/ GRANTED)
And If so, do I need to send the copy of old I-765 form when I sent for my original EAD card?Thanks for your kindness,

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: yes, you should provide all of the information required. You do not have to provide a copy of the I-765 for that filing.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.