Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

How do i get my husband to American from Africa

Customer Question

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

First, is he actually your husband? Where and when did you marry? You were both present for the wedding? Second, are you a U.S. Citizen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No boyfriend. Yes i am

Your payment did not go through for a phone call. Do you still want a phone call? Can you use a different credit card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u help us be together by the end of the year. Pls

No. That is too quick. The U.S. government has to do background checks and such, so you aren't going to be able to get him here by the end of the year. Have you met him in person before or only over the internet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Facebook. Well how soon can he be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We text all the time and talk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u going to be able to help me

I understand that, but unfortunately you will have to go meet him in person before you can petition for him. Why? Because there is lots of marriage fraud over the internet. The U.S. may believe that you are in love, but they also know that sometimes people are so desperate to come to the U.S. that they will do anything, try to fool anyone to come. The exception is if you have a serious medical condition or something just as exceptional that prevents you from going to meet him, or that your religion does not allow a couple to meet before marriage. Do you fit into either exception? I can help, but it has to be by the rules and timetable that the U.S. has available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Religious

Really? Ok, what religion do you and he belong to that does not allow you to meet each other before marriage? How long have you each been part of that religion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jovah withness 5 yrs. Do u want his number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will u be able to help us

I have never heard that Jehovah Witnesses are not allowed to meet each other before marrying. Will you be able to prove that? If you try and fail, you will end up wasting 6 or more months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never been in a airplane before.

But will you be able to prove that your religion does not allow you to board a plane? Again, I have never heard that a Jahovah's Witness cannot board a plane. If you cannot prove it, you will waste 6 months of time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can i go and meet him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never been on a plane before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well can he come just for a visit

I doubt they will let him come visit. I will explain in a moment.

There are essentially three ways to bring him and none are really fast, unfortunately:

1) The K-1 fiance visa takes 6 to 9 months, but you must have met before at least once during the last two years in order to process it. The I-129F will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee. After he enters the U.S., then you have to marry and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485 and he will have to wait about 5 to 7 months and gets another interview that you attend with your new spouse so that he can get Residency.

2) The K-3 spouse visa takes 6 to 9 months, you must be married. The I-129F will cost $340 and $350 for the visa processing fee. Then after he enters the U.S., he must still file the I-485 for $1070 and wait for the marriage interview about 5 to 7 months later.

3) The CR-1 visa (or IR-1 if your marriage is more than 2 years old) takes about 1 year or so. You must be married. The fees are $420 for the I-130, $330 for the visa processing fee, $88 for an Affidavit of Support fee. But once he enters the U.S., he enters as a Resident and he does not have to file (or pay for) an I-485 nor does he have to attend an additional interview. He just gets his green card in the mail a few weeks later.

So the K-1 and K-3 are faster but generally more expensive. The CR-1 (and IR-1) are slower, but generally cheaper. And no, there is no middle-visa that he can use to enter the U.S. while that process is pending. He will most likely have to wait outside.

Here is a link to all three:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance.html

and another link:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Resources%20for%20Congress/Congressional%20Reports/I-129F%20Petition%20for%20Alien%20Fiance%28e%29.pdf

I know you do not want to wait. I know it is very inconvenient. I know you want to be together sooner rather than later, but I have this same conversation two or three times per day on this website. No one ever likes it and believe me, if there was an easier or faster way, I would tell you. I know you will probably say, “but what about this...?” or “but what about that...?” But I will most likely continue to have bad news for you. I am truly sorry. The problem is that the U.S. concerns over security and fraud in this area are more important than a 6 to 9 months inconvenience to you. The way they see it is that if it truly is a real relationship, it will survive that length of time apart. Again, I am truly sorry. I wish I had a faster and easier way to tell you about.

ALSO, now you know that it is not too expensive to bring him to the U.S., it just takes time. Whatever you do, do NOT send money for a plane ticket or visa. You can buy him a plane ticket on your own and you pay the visa fees on your own through one of the processes that I just outlined. Also, do not send money for a passport. Passports are not expensive to get. Probably around $100, definately less than $200. And finally, do not send money if he tells you that he needs to show money in a bank account to be able to get the visa or to travel and leave his country. This is a lie and part of a romance scam. Here is a link:

http://romancescams.org/

So whatever you do, do NOT send money.

As far as visiting you before, I doubt they will grant him a visitor visa. Why? Because unless he has a great life in his country, with strong ties that will ensure that he will go back, they just won't believe he will go back.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will have to go there with him

You didn't even read what I posted. Please read the whole thing, then ask me any follow-ups. I am trying to help you, but you need to participate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The best is to go with one of them link

To answer your question, yes, you will have to go meet him. You don't have to stay there and you do not have to go with him to the immigration interview, but you do at least have to go meet him. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Hello Chakila. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!