Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

When you obtain an affidavit to marry at the US Embassy in

Customer Question

When you obtain an affidavit to marry at the US Embassy in Manila, what questions do they ask? Is it like an interview, or is it a matter of just filling up a form? How long will it take to get the affidavit? Thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What do you mean by "affidavit to marry?" What will be filed/requested/attempted/etc?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't know about the question, you probably don't have the answer either, unless you can find it for me.
You can find the answer to your question at this link:http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/events-and-records/marriage.html
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes customers ask a question, but use the wrong verbiage. I did not want to assume that you were asking about "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry" because you could have been asking about:

-I-129F application

-I-130 application

-Affidavit for relatives for I-130 (or for yourself)

-Etc.

So I actually suspected you meant Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry, but I was not sure what you had meant and wanted to be sure.

Regardless, I will opt out and let another expert answer this question. All the best.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Are you applying for a K-1 fiancé visa or your spouse is applying for a K-1 fiancée visa?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is for my son who will be marrying in the Philippines. He will be obtaining an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry at the US Embassy in Manila and I want to know if it is an interview process. If it is an interview, what questions do they ask?

Well, then who is petitioning for him? A U.S. Citizen fiancée? Or he is a U.S. Citizen petitioning for a fiancée?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a US citizen he is going to the Philippines to marry. He is not petitioning for a fiancee.

Well, there will be an interview. They will interview his new spouse at a later time. It won't be right now because it takes a few months processing time after he marries and files all the paperwork. Most of the time, they interview just the spouse because the U.S. Citizen is usually back in the U.S. at that point. Even if the U.S. Citizen is in the Philippines and could attend the interview, most often the U.S. Citizen is not allowed in for the interview anyway. Sometimes it does happen, but most of the time it does not. It is up to the discretion of the interviewing officer. As to what the interview is about, well, they will definitely ask questions about how the couple met, where they met, when they met, how often they communicate, what they talk about, etc. They may ask her about his family and about his life to make sure she is genuinely interested and attentive to those details. They are looking for evidence to see if basically she just married him to get a green card. If they are satisfied that she did it for the right reasons and she has nothing in her background like serious crimes, mental health issues or serious health issues of public significance, then they should grant her the visa to come to the U.S. As to how long it will take to get the Affidavit, that would probably be just a day or so.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.