Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I lost my receipt of I 797. My case got approved anyway and

Customer Question

I lost my receipt of I 797. My case got approved anyway and I entered the states 6 weeks ago, but I haven't received my Green Card yet. Anytime I call the National Customer Service to check on my Green Card, they ask me for the receipt number which I don't have. I just need the receipt number I don't need a copy of it. Is there a way I can get that receipt number without filing the Form I 824 and waiting for ever?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Who petitioned for you? You entered on an immigrant visa or another different visa? Which? Did they stamp your passport upon entry? What does that stamp say?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

You have two options:

1) You can file a G-639 Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request and get a complete copy of your immigration file which should include the information that you seek. It is free but may take 2 to 3 months or more to process. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/g-639

2) Go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to get that receipt number.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again! I entered with the immigrant visa on 09/14/2015. My mom was the petitioner. She is a permanent residant here in the states for 10 years now. My problem is that I have entered here 7 weeks now and I never received my green card. I made the payment online for the green card two weeks before I entered the States. Whats worse is that I never received a welcome letter either and that one has a receipt number. If I had that receipt I could track my green card online but I dont have it. I called the National Customer Service 4 times trying to get that receipt and explain the situation to them, but none of them helped me. They are saying that I have two wait two full months before they start looking whats going on. I dont understand why they cheat and tell people 8 weeks when at the same time the law the papers and online say that the waiting time to receive the green card is only 45 days. Please help me! I Dont know what else to do except waiting.

Please do not disappear again without leaving a positive rating for me. I am not given a salary to be here. The only way the website compensates me is if you leave a positive rating, so please do not forget.

I listed two options that you can do to obtain that receipt number, did you try either? And why do you need the green card so quickly? Didn't you get an I-551 stamp in your passport when you entered the U.S.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir! I tried both options and none of those helped me. Why do I need my green card so quickly? Who doesnt need it? What kind of question is that? And yes I got the I 551 stamp on my passport when I entered but that is good only for one year and you know that better than I do. I dont plan to stay here only for one year. I came to stay and work here permanently. Thats why I need my green card as soon as possible. Thank you for your answer though!

I know WHY you want your green card, but what you don't seem to understand is that the I-551 in your passport IS evidence of your green card status, so you don't NEED the green card, at least right at this moment. You WANT the physical green card, but you don't NEED it. There is a difference. The I-551 stamp is all you need to get a drivers license, a social security number, employment and travel. Believe me, they aren't doing anything against you, it's just a normal processing delay for the card. It happens from time to time. When does the I-551 stamp expire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
August of next year

Ok. As I said, you can continue to use the I-551 stamp for everything that the actual green card can do. IF it gets close to expiring August of next year (which I highly doubt), all you do is go and make an Infopass appointment and ask them to give you another I-551 stamp for another year. So that's the plan B just in case. Thus you will never be without proof that you are a U.S. Citizen. Now, as to what to do to get them to produce the card, already, you should call customer service every few weeks and become a pain. The number is ***** You can also go again to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to find out the status and also do that like every month or so and also become a pain until it gets produced. And finally, you could also contact your U.S. Congressmen. You have two U.S. Senators and one U.S. Representative. So if one is not helpful, you have two others you can approach. I'm sure at least one of them can make inquiries and get you that green card produced. Honestly, it will probably come very soon, but I just wanted to give you options if it takes longer than a few more weeks.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!