Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My wife and I just came back from Jamaica and we met a

Customer Question

my wife and I just came back from Jamaica and we met a wonderful young girl who,worked at the resort. she is in search of success in work and school,in the US. we got to know her and are looking into finding a way to bring her to the US for work and possibly school.
is there a process or check list for something like this.
Thanks
Paul
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Paul, can you please tell me if:

1) How old is she?

2) Does she have a high school diploma? A college degree?

3) Is she single or married?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 25
High school diploma
Single
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is little that you can do for her. The majority of her choices lie in actions she has to do herself.

There are several different ways to come to USA, and of course they may arbitrarily be divided into:

1) Visa lottery
2) Education (mostly non-immigrant but hold strong possibilities for receiving a greencard based off job offer post-graduation in specific fields)
3) Employment
4) Marriage
5) Asylum

The visa lottery is a program where individuals are randomly picked by USCIS. The chances of winning this "greencard lottery" (as it is known) are slim.

Education allows an individual to come and study in the USA for a period of time, and sometimes, the individual may be able to receive employment by a US sponsor employer, although there are no guarantees. She may also get married and adjust to a greencard this way. This is perhaps one of her better chances - to come and study.

Employment is generally considered a painstaking process and unless you have a technical degree or medical degree - along with a job offer - there is really little possibility of actually getting a visa based on employment. The bar is set very high. Given that she only has a high school diploma, the chances of her receiving a work visa are slim to none.

Marriage is the "easiest" assuming that the marriage itself is genuine. USCIS will review the petition for genuineness. Some get rejected. This is another good option.

Asylum is really not an option for someone from Jamaica due its reasonable stability and lack of sectarian violence.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.