Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

How does my friend get a work permit?

Customer Question

how does my friend get a work permit?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Your friend's only option for a work permit now that they are out of status is to marry a US citizen.

There are other limited options for work visas but all would require they return to home country for visa processing. If they have been in the US unlawfully for more than 180 days they would not be allowed back for 3 years. If their lawful stay has been expired more than one year they could not return for 10 years.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith