Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

1. My husband will need to renew s E3 Visa before June 2016.

Customer Question

1. My husband will need to renew his E3 Visa before June 2016. Can we renew his visa in December 2015? I am on an E3-D so I will need a little bit of time to renew my work permit.
2. My visa expires on June 2016 but my work permit expires on June 2017. Is this an error?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Forget the visa stamp. When does each I-94 expire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It expires on the 6/6/2017

Which is "it'?

What about your husband's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually i think i have made an error. The I94 Expires on the 6.30.2016 for both myself and my husband

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: If both of your I-94s are expiring in June 2016, then you need to apply for renewals prior to then because it is the I-94 that determines your lawful status in the US.

Extensions of status can be filed up to 6 months prior to the expiration date of the status; however the extension will not be valid until after the current status. So if your current status ends June 1, 2016, and you apply for an extension now, then your extended status will not start until June 2, 2016.

It does not matter that your EAD expires in 2017. The I-94 is the determining factor.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i was on holiday yesterday so I had to go to dinner but thanks for your answer.So I can renew it 6 months before it expires but the extended status starts after the old one expires. So if I leave the USA and renew in Canada now I will have to exit and re-enter before the new extended time begins?

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: When I talk about extensions, I mean extension of status (new I-94 issued), from within the US. If you leave to Canada now, you turn in your I-94 upon departing. Then with a valid visa, you re-enter the US and get a new I-94. So in that case, you do not leave and come back before the new extended time begins.

Again, an extension is only when you are in the US. You would be extending your status. And you only have a status when you are actually in the US.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.