Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am employed by a company where my husband is my

Customer Question

I am employed by a company where my husband is my supervisor. This company has a rule against this, but made an exception. I report to my husband, but am evaluated by the owner of the company.
Recently, my husband's job is at stake because of attitude, performance, insubordination at a recent meeting. I was at this meeting too and tried to explain some marketing situations in order to clear the air) After the meeting the owner told my husband, "others attending the meeting came up to him (owner) and asked about marital strife between us. There is none. This is an incorrect perception. Possibly something even fabricated by the owner; however the owner insisted several times that "we get to the bottoms of this" (perceived marital trouble) yet there is none. We work together very well. So what would this incorrect perception do to serve the owner? Why would another employee discuss such a topic with the owner? How do we address something that is NOT happening? How can we protect oursel
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am employed by a company where my husband is my supervisor. This company has a rule against this, but made an exception. I report to my husband, but am evaluated by the owner of the company. Recently, my husband's job is at stake because of attitude, performance, insubordination at a recent meeting. I was at this meeting too and tried to explain some marketing situations in order to clear the air) After the meeting the owner told my husband, "others attending the meeting came up to him (owner) and asked about marital strife between us. There is none. This is an incorrect perception. Possibly something even fabricated by the owner; however the owner insisted several times that "we get to the bottoms of this" (perceived marital trouble) yet there is none. We work together very well. So what would this incorrect perception do to serve the owner?

Response 1: I do not know. The owner should not assume something.

Why would another employee discuss such a topic with the owner?

Response 2: Maybe to hurt both you and your husband. Maybe somebody wants your job or your husband's job and I spreading false rumor, which ise making the owner rethink allowing you to work under your husband.

How do we address something that is NOT happening?

Response 3: By keep insisting to the owner that "there is no there there."

How can we protect oursel

Response 4: Keep doing your work; refrain from discussing any personal issues with co-workers no matter how close you are to or friendly with the co-workers because you never know who is going to betray your confidence.