How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3898
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a spouse of E2 visa holder in the US. I have a work

Customer Question

I am a spouse of E2 visa holder in the US. I have a work authorization permit. Can I purchase a business in the US?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Please be aware that I cannot provide specific legal advice in this forum, because no lawyer client relation exists. Rather, I can only speak generally to aspects of the law and hypotheticals.

The short answer is "yes."

Generally, visas/immigration status and business ownership in the U.S. are independent of each other.

I know of no express USCIS regulation prohibiting foreign nationals from starting or owning a business.

Now, if you wanted to use the business as the means to obtain a nonimmigrant visa under the E category of "treaty investor" then your business plan/purchase would have to meet certain criteria in terms of amount and prospective employment in order to qualify. Generally, that's around $100,000 with a feasible business plan to sustain an ongoing business that employs several people.

Related Immigration Law Questions