Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am an citizen of Nepal currently in the US in F-1

Customer Question

Hi, I am an citizen of Nepal currently in the US in F-1 (student)status. After the recent earthquake that hit Nepal, US has given an opportunity to apply for TPS. I have also applied for TPS. I have filled the forms for TPS and work authorization, but have not filled the travel authorization document. I just mailed the documents to USCIS and have not been called for biometrics yet. Also, I am travelling to nepal this december for a month. So, I was wondering if i would also need a travel authorization for TPS or will my F-1 visa work as my travel document?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: Your F1 visa still makes you eligible to enter the US, so long as you are fulfilling the requirements for the visa and your I-20 is valid. However you should get your TPS travel document because you never know if an officer at the border will deny you entry on your F1 visa for any reason. If you plan to come back, the TPS travel document will increase your chances to do that.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FOR JAMES, so what will happen if I get a appointment for my biometrics and don't go for it? Will that cancel my application for TPS? And That way, I won't have TPS, so it shouldn't hinder my travel through my f-1status right?

First, there is no need to write "FOR JAMES" once we are in communication. That is for future, new questions you post in a new thread.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: If you miss your biometrics appointment, the case for whatever you applied for cannot move forward. So if you miss your biometrics appointment for TPS, then the TPS case will not go forward. So yes, that is correct.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now that I've known that I won't be using the EAD from TPS, I am thinking of cancelling my TPS application. If I do so, will there be records of my application, and can that be issues at the Port of Entry when I return back to the US?

Customs and border protection have access to your complete records of what has transpired in your case. Whether they will be updated by the time of your return, I do not know. But there is nothing wrong with requesting TPS if you are eligible for it. It does not show immigrant intent, so it should not have an effect on your entry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have two options, either to cancel my TPS application or get a TPS status with travel authorization document. Which do you think will be better in my case? And how long does it take to get a travel authorization document?

ANSWER: If you want my honest opinion, I think canceling TPS and keeping the F1 status is your best option because you never know when TPS will end. But I am prohibited from directing you as to what you should do. I am only allowed to give general information about the situation you describe. If you want someone to tell you exactly what to do, then you need to speak directly with an attorney, with whom you've met in confidence.

Thank you!

FYI, I edited and updated my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I work off campus from my EAD card of TPS while maintaining my F-1 status?

ANSWER: I just want to clarify something... when you are on TPS, you are not also on F1 status. They are two different statuses altogether. They do not work in conjunction. But you can attend college while on TPS.

And yes, if you have EAD for TPS, you can work anywhere.

Please do not forget to give a rating before you go.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!