Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Need help in writing mitigation letter dismissed 4th degree

Customer Question

Need help in writing mitigation letter for a dismissed 4th degree assault for citizenship application. I have passed the citizenship test but the office asked for more documents from the police.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

First I need to know what is in the police report. That is what the examiner requested, not a mitigation letter.

The natz examiner can consider ANY evidence when making a determination on good moral character. Your "mitigation letter" is not going to overcome what is in the police report.

What you really need character letters from employers, co-workers, neighbors, church leaders, organizations where you have done volunteer work, etc showing you have rehabilitated your character to overcome what might be in the police report they are requesting.

You don't have to tell the people about your criminal history but you do need them to write letters about how you are an upstanding member of society who contributes time and effort to society.

These letters cannot all be the same so a "boiler plate" letter won't do to help you out here.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith, thanks for your response. It was the 4th degree assualt between me and my husband. He was the one who called the police thinking that I poked his eyes intentionally. He was drunk that he did not remember what he did that night the next day. He had scratch on his one eye but I do not know how it happened.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

That still does not tell me what the police report says and that is what USCIS is asking for, not your "mitigation letter".

That is not the approach I would take.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the police report with me. I want the mitigation letter as affidavit ( supporting letter). So i was wondering if the letter should follow certain formats. That is why I asked for your help.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

There seems to be some glitch because I accepted your request. You need to contact customer service because it appears your payment didn't clear. I have sent you an offer for the phone call. You can try to accept my offer for telephone call.

I am happy to help you with drafting a letter but it is important to know what is in the police report.

Judith