Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Today in the morning i t other street parked car side

Customer Question

Hi Today in the morning i hit other street parked
car side mirror . I didn't left any information. I stopped and looked around the car. i don't know how to inform. Police officer called and filed a case VC20002(a). I how this will effeft any VISA and Green card processing and What next step i need to take
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Were you charged with a misdemeanor?

Hit and Run Causing Property Damage (CVC 20002)

Hit and run causing property damage only is a misdemeanor. If you are found in violation of CVC 20002, you face a hit and run punishment of:

• Up to six months in jail;
  • A fine of not more than $1,000 dollars; or
  • Both, imprisonment and fine.

This would not cause you to be inadmissible and would not be a reason for you to not get your visa stamp or green card because the fine is not more than one year in jail. It is not a crime involving moral turpitude and if you are convicted you will still be able to get your resident status.

You should try to get a lawyer to have the charge dismissed by making a report to your insurance company and taking care of the damage.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith