Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Judith I am approaching the end of 90 ends period from start

Customer Question

Hi Judith
I am approaching the end of 90 ends period from start date of OPT. Can I volunteer at a recently started LLC till I get a permanent job. At this point of time I am interviewing with a few firms.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Yes you may work as a volunteer intern at a business. You must keep very careful records of your clock in time and clock out time and keep a spread sheet of the projects you work on and the amount of time you spend on each task. You need to have your supervisor at the company sign off on your spread sheet every week and yo have to accrue at least 20 hours a week doing the work as an intern for the company.

The burden is on you to prove you were engaged in work relevant to your specialized knowledge in your major from the university and a detailed spread sheet of tasks performed and the supervisor signing off on it weekly is the best means.

You should inform your DSO of your status working as an intern for the company.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith