Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

MS. JUDITH. I GOT AN RFE ASKING ME TO SUBMIT MY

Customer Question

HELLO MS. JUDITH. I GOT AN RFE ASKING ME TO SUBMIT MY PETITIONER'S(WIFE) TAX RETURN AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS, HOWEVER MY WIFE DIDNT FILE HER TAX LAST YEAR. HER PARENTS FILED AND SHE WAS THE DEPENDENT. MY QUESTION IS: CAN MY WIFE STILL SUBMIT THE FORMS EVEN THOUGH SHE FILED AS A DEPENDENT? SHE HAS HER W-2s and 1098, AS WELL AS THE DOCUMENTS SHOWING HER PARENTS FILED FOR HER WITH HER NAME ON IT. THANK YOU.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your wife must file an I-864, a copy of her W-2s; 1099s and the tax document showing her name on it.

She also needs to send a letter explaining the reason why she did not file the tax return as an individual.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. I will remember you and review our question history. Thank you.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith ! Her reason for not filing her tax is that she was in school and her parents were supporting her. Could you pls send me a sample of what the letter should look like. Thanks.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

RE: Petitioner: (Your Wife's Name)

I-864

USCIS File #:

Beneficiary: (your name)

To Whom It May Concern:

This is in response to your request for evidence dated (date).

I did not provide a copy of my tax return because I was a student and a dependent of my parents.

My income I earned was included in their 2014 IRS 1040.

I was not required to file an IRS 1040 as their dependent.

Very truly yours,

Wife's Name

Judith