Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Is sodomy considered a crime in Texas under immigration law?

Customer Question

Is sodomy considered a crime in Texas under immigration law? Can you be deported for committing it?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It was struck down by Lawrence v. Texas. Here is a link:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-102.ZO.html

So no, it is no longer a crime and a person would not be deported because of it. If you would like to see the different laws in Texas that could cause a deportation, here is a link:

http://www.nationalimmigrationproject.org/legalresources/cd_so_Chart%20-%20Texas%20Offenses%20-%202006.pdf

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was discharge from military because of it back in 2000 would it hurt me becoming a us citizen?

No, it should not because it is not considered a crime and because more than 5 years have passed since the issue. What you must do is be honest on the N-400 because they may not be able to deny you because of it, but they could deny you if you try to lie or misrepresent something. So just be careful in that aspect.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!