Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

A friend of mine came here on asylum while her case was

Customer Question

Hello....a friend of mine came here on asylum while her case was pending she got married and applied for a green card (I-130) (her I-130 was approved) now I know she needs to terminate her asylum case before she can be approved for a green card. How does she go about doing this? Is it just writing a letter, or is there a form she needs to complete?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: There is no form. She needs to contact the immigration court and ask that her case be withdrawn and closed.

The other option is to go to the next appearance, and provide the approved I-130 petition. The court can then close the case and send it down to the USCIS to further processing of the marriage based adjustment of status process.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and by contacting the immigration court, does that mean just sending a letter, explaining that she got married and has an approved I-130 and then request that her case be withdrawn?

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: The best way to do this is to file a Request to Join in a Motion to Terminate with the Department of Homeland Security. After the DHS agrees, the Joint Motion would then be filed with the Immigration Judge.

She needs to file a copy of the approved I-130 and as the I-485 and as much of the I-485 supporting documents to show the applicant’s eligibility.

I would meet with an attorney to help her prepare the Motion.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a form number for the Request to Join in a motion to terminate?

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: No. As I said, there is no form number. It is a Motion. The attorney will know how to prepare one. Or you can review information on Motions before the immigration court here: http://www.ailawebcle.org/resources/Resources%20for%204-21-11.pdf

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a template of a motion to terminate with me?

Unfortunately, no. I am not allowed to provide that. It would be outside the scope of this service. But you can find that in the Immigration Court Practice Manual: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/pages/attachments/2015/05/20/practice_manual_review.pdf#page=43

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** told I don't need to file a motion to cancel a case with DHS. IF I don't have to file a motion with DHS, what can I do, just send them an informal letter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once you request for DHS to join motion and they agree, do they send written notification of their approval and that is what you take to court?

Sorry for the delay. I was not online when you posted your follow-up questions.

I am very disappointed that you decided to close this question. I had already spent a lot of time working with you, getting nothing in return. This is the second time that has happened with you as a customer. I'm sure you would agree that it is not fair to work for so long on something, and get nothing back for it. Seeing how you got a lot of information from my efforts, I certainly do not think it is a fair outcome for me.

In the future, it would be best if you work with the Experts and give them the credit they deserve for the work they've done, so that they are motivated to continue assisting you.

This is the second question I helped you with, and did not get any credit for: http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/42bce88212054d84a6d7a4d517a1aa17