Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My partner and I have our first interview caard application

Customer Question

hi
my partner and I have our first interview for his green caard application what questions can I expert from the interviewer and should I bring anything other than or in addition to the list spelled out on the form
greg humpert
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

How long have you been married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

two years now on july 15th was our 2nd anniversery

Ok. This is the list that I give to my clients that they should start collecting since they got married and I know you may not have all of these things, but the more you have, the better it is:

A letter where you describe, in a very detailed fashion, the circumstances in which you met your spouse, the reasons you married, and the feelings and emotions that you have towards your spouse, and why.
If you have a child or children together, the birth certificate for each child.
Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together.
Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that shows a common address.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.
Any other documents that prove your relationship.

Also, things that come every month, you should have put away in a folder every 2 or 3 months. They don't want to see just a few things from the last month before the interview. They want to see things that span the relationship.

As to questions, if you provide enough evidence, they usually just as a few questions like how you met, who asked for who's number, the first date, who proposed, when you married, where you went for the honeymoon, etc. If they aren't too happy with the evidence provided, then they could separate the both of you and ask many questions. That is called a Stokes interview. Here are some links:

http://www.immigrationnavigator.com/passing-the-stokes-green-card-interview/

http://stokes-interview.com/

http://www.berdklauss.com/2013/08/01/what-is-a-stokes-interview-how-do-you-prepare-for-a-stokes-interview/

So prepare just in case.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!