Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

If a person is in the United States on a B2 visa and wishes

Customer Question

If a person is in the United States on a B2 visa and wishes to obtain a work visa , whats the process to do that. If person wants to extend the current visa past the 6 months , how would he apply for an extension
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: The visitor visa does not allow the visitor to gain any lawful employment in the US. For that you have to apply for a change of status to an employment based status. And for that, you need an employer who is willing to sponsor you for an employment based status. Here is a list of the types of nonimmigrant employment based status: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers. Copy and paste the link in a new internet window.

As far as applying for an extension of status, you need to file form I-539. You can do a google search for that form.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.