Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My question is that if you recently became a US citizen and

Customer Question

My question is that if you recently became a US citizen and you haven't had time to get a passport and your grandfather just passed away (death) in Mexico and your family says go that you will be fine with your citizenship certificate, driver's license and a copy of the grandfather's death certificate, will it be a problem returning back to the United States.
Is it a risk or will there not be a problem?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It is not a risk, per se, but it does complicate your situation. However, you can apply for a U.S. Passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest where you will be staying. Here is a link:

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_passports_general.html

My condolences for your loss.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're basically saying with the citizenship certificate, birth certificate, drivers license, and social I can go and come back without applying for a passport at the U.S. Embassy there?

Well, they are going to cause you major problems, you could be detained at the airport for a number of hours, be treaty very crappy, etc., but eventually they will let you back in. If you want to avoid all that, get the passport at the U.S. Embassy or consulate.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!