Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am supposed to travel to Ireland in 8 hours but I

Customer Question

I am supposed to travel to Ireland in 8 hours but I attempted to check in online and it said my expiration date was not valid on my passport.
I am currently paying a tax bill monthly and I got notice a month ago that I was over paid in a tax return for information they received indicating I wasn't supposed to receive the amount of refund that I had received. On the forms it said I have until December 7 to object, so I was going to address when I got back from this trip. I am wondering if this is a reason to worry and if I am going to be able to travel tomorrow?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are a U.S. Citizen? Do you have citizenship of any other country?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a U.S. Citizen, only a citizen in US

Well, assuming that the date in your passport has not expired, here is the link to the laws in regards ***** *****:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/part-51/subpart-E

Owing a tax loan, or paying back an overpayment of a tax refund does not seem to be there. If you look through the lists and you find something that could be the cause, then you could have problems travelling tomorrow. If you do not find anything that could be the cause, then the airline will most likely let you board the plane and when you get back, the officer at the Port of Entry could let you know at that point if anything is wrong with your passport, but they will let you back in because you are a U.S. Citizen.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the health care profession and received a federal loan which is now in collections due to miscommunications. Could this be a reason to hold up my passport and travel plans if the amount is greater than 50k?

Yes, that could be a reason. There really isn't enough time to do much about it at this point. You have to take your chances at the airport. Getting back doesn't worry me. You can always get a limited use passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Ireland, but I cannot tell you what, if anything, the airline will do about letting you board the plane to Ireland.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it likely that this is the reason I could not board online? I'm traveling with a friend and am not sure if I am going to be able to go now because of this so I'm worried that this will make her travel alone

It is possible. You won't know for sure until you check in at the airport. Because there are so few hours left, because it is a weekend, you wouldn't even be able to go to the local passport agency, but you can try calling the 24/7 hotline. Here is a link:

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!

If you want to try, there is also the following:

Life or Death Emergencies

• If you have a life or death travel emergency outside of normal business hours (after 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, weekends, and holidays), please call(###) ###-####

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. As I do not receive a salary, it is the only way that I get credit for my service to you. You are NOT charged again and we do NOT finish just because it says, "Rate to finish" or something like that. I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.