Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My wife walked out after a year of marriage and receiving

Customer Question

My wife walked out after a year of marriage and receiving her green card in july 2015. She left on Saturday 26 to attend a party no calls or contact. She showed up on Wednesday30 in everyday clothes I recognized which tells me she panned this. Sge packed a few pieces of clothes and s as ud shevwill return gor the rest wgen she gets her own place.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Did she get her 2 year green card or 10 year green card? When was the date of that final approval? And what other evidence do you have that the marriage didn't just fall apart?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

Believe me, I want to help you with this. Few things make me angrier in U.S. immigration law than someone that takes advantage of someone else to get a green card. The problem is that there are two very harsh penalties for this and because the penalties are so harsh, the evidence of fraud has to be solid. She will argue that the marriage just fell apart and that's why she left. So you will have to have solid evidence that her intent was always to use you for the immigration benefit.

The first penalty is under 18 U.S.C. § 1325(c) which provides a penalty of up to five years imprisonment and up to $250,000 fine for any "individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws."

The second penalty is a permanent bar to ever getting a green card again. She could not do it even if she had U.S. Citizen children.

You can report marriage fraud in three different ways:

1) You can go to http://www.ice.gov/exec/forms/hsi-tips/tips.asp and file the report there.

2) You can call the ICE hotline at 1-(866)(###) ###-####

3) You can contact the local USCIS field office by going to http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

You should have evidence of the marriage fraud handy in case they want to ask you questions or have you send evidence to them.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.