Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I need to know if a school authorized by the State of GA

Customer Question

I need to know if a school authorized by the State of GA Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission but not accredited allowed to accept I20 students? My name is ***** ***** xxxx at xxx-xxx-xxxx at email:***@******.***.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mr.England, my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I have experience with schools becoming SEVIS certified by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the DHS agency which oversees the F1 program.

I assume your program is for allied health professional education and not physicians?

Please verify.

Thank you

Judith

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/schools

Pursuant to meeting the Title IV requirements of the SEVP regulations you must be accredited by one of the following:

Accreditation in the United States

Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies

The regional and national accrediting agencies linked to below are recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as reliable authorities concerning the quality of education or training offered by the institutions of higher education or higher education programs they accredit. The dates specified for each entry are the date of initial listing as a nationally recognized agency, the date of the Secretary's most recent grant of renewed recognition, and the date of the agency's next scheduled review for renewal of recognition by the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity. Unless otherwise noted in a Title IV note after the agency's name, accreditation by an agency included on the lists linked to below may be used by an institution accredited by the agency to establish eligibility to participate in Title IV programs.

(Note: S = Spring meeting and F = Fall meeting)

• Regional and National Institutional Accrediting Agencies

• Specialized Accrediting Agencies

• Arts and Humanities
    • Education Training
    • Legal
    • Community and Social Services
    • Personal Care and Services
    • Healthcare
  • Accrediting Agencies Recognized for Their Preaccreditation Categories

• Accrediting Agencies Recognized for Title IV Purposes

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. I will remember you and review our question history. Thank you.

Judith

In lieu of certification, if your school is recognized as an "Adult Education Institution" the following regs would apply and your being State accredited would apply:

(C) An adult education program, as defined by section 203(l) of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, Public Law 105-220, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 9202(l), if the adult education program is funded in whole or in part by a grant under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, or by any other Federal, State, county or municipal funding.

(3) Eligibility. (i) The petitioner, to be eligible for certification, must establish at the time of filing that it:

(A) Is a bona fide school;

(B) Is an established institution of learning or other recognized place of study;

(C) Possesses the necessary facilities, personnel, and finances to conduct instruction in recognized courses; and

(D) Is, in fact, engaged in instruction in those courses.

(ii) The petitioner, to be eligible for recertification, must establish at the time of filing that it:

(A) Remains eligible for certification in accordance with paragraph (a)(3)(i) of this section;

(B) Has complied during its previous period of certification or recertification with recordkeeping, retention, and reporting requirements and all other requirements of paragraphs (g), (j), (k), and (l) of this section.

(b) Supporting documents. Institutions petitioning for certification or recertification must submit certain supporting documents as follows, pursuant to sections 101(a)(15)(F) and (M) of the Act. A petitioning school or school system owned and operated as a public educational institution or system by the United States or a State or a political subdivision thereof shall submit a certification to that effect signed by the appropriate public official who shall certify that he or she is authorized to do so. A petitioning private or parochial elementary or secondary school system shall submit a certification signed by the appropriate public official who shall certify that he or she is authorized to do so to the effect that it meets the requirements of the State or local public educational system. Any other petitioning school shall submit a certification by the appropriate licensing, approving, or accrediting official who shall certify that he or she is authorized to do so to the effect that it is licensed, approved, or accredited. In lieu of such certification a school which offers courses recognized by a State-approving agency as appropriate for study for veterans under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. 3675 and 3676 may submit a statement of recognition signed by the appropriate official of the State approving agency who shall certify that he or she is authorized to do so. A charter shall not be considered a license, approval, or accreditation. A school catalogue, if one is issued, shall also be submitted with each petition. If not included in the catalogue, or if a catalogue is not issued, the school shall furnish a written statement containing information concerning the size of its physical plant, nature of its facilities for study and training, educational, vocational or professional qualifications of the teaching staff, salaries of the teachers, attendance and scholastic grading policy, amount and character of supervisory and consultative services available to students and trainees, and finances (including a certified copy of the accountant's last statement of school's net worth, income, and expenses). Neither a catalogue nor such a written statement need be included with a petition submitted by:

(1) A school or school system owned and operated as a public educational institution or system by the United States or a State or a political subdivision thereof;

(2) A school accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting body; or

(3) A secondary school operated by or as part of a school so accredited.

(c) Other evidence. If the petitioner is a vocational, business, or language school, or American institution of research recognized as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security, it must submit evidence that its courses of study are accepted as fulfilling the requirements for the attainment of an educational, professional, or vocational objective, and are not avocational or recreational in character. If the petitioner is a vocational, business, or language school, or American institution of research recognized as such by the Attorney General, it must submit evidence that its courses of study are accepted as fulfilling the requirements for the attainment of an educational, professional, or vocational objective, and are not avocational or recreational in character. If the petitioner is an institution of higher education and is not within the category described in paragraph (b) (1) or (2) of this section, it must submit evidence that it confers upon its graduates recognized bachelor, master, doctor, professional, or divinity degrees, or if it does not confer such degrees that its credits have been and are accepted unconditionally by at least three such institutions of higher learning. If the petitioner is an elementary or secondary school and is not within the category described in paragraph (b) (1) or (3) of this section, it must submit evidence that attendance at the petitioning institution satisfies the compulsory attendance requirements of the State in which it is located and that the petitioning school qualifies graduates for acceptance by schools of a higher educational level within the category described in paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c3e649678b120dbbbab0f7fb8da143df&rgn=div5&view=text&node=8:1.0.1.2.18&idno=8#se8.1.214_13

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel my service or this service. I should not be charged for any service except for the initial $5.00 charge.
Please confirm this. No monthly or further charges are to be incurred. Please confirm this immediately.

I am an attorney working as an IC, I have nothing to do with the accounting and billing. Please contact

http://ww2.justanswer.com/en-gb/help

Best

Judith