Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My sons friend traveled to Canada from Latvia we picked her

Customer Question

My sons friend traveled to Canada from Latvia we picked her up in Sarnia she was denied entry at Pt. Huron MI we were detained for 3 hours and had to bring her back into Canada
The Canadian authorities instructed us ton fly her back i to Latvia. She was denied entry under 217 He wants her to visit what's the next step
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces before leaving the site today.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

I need some clarification... she tried to enter the US, but was denied entry based on INA 217?

What kind of US visa does she have to enter the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She bought the ticket with her own funds wanted to Surprise him by Flying into Toronto she had no Visa no return ticket. Instead of traveling to Toronto Pearson airport instructed me to sending was of going all the way to Toronto we figured it would be easier to get her in Sarnia which is 1 hour away from our home in Burton. We were not permitted to enter with her to the States she was flagged, she had no return ticket the ICE agents determined she was denied under INA 217
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the bad grammar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For James

So are you saying she did not have a visa to enter the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For James
No Visa because she was from a Visa Wavier Country
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what she thought

Yes, that's OK. I just wanted to know if she entered with the visa waiver or the visitor visa. Do you know if she was registered in ESTA?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know she did not register under ESTA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just figured she could fly in and stay for 90 days or less buy a ticket then go home

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: Even though she is from a visa waiver country, she has to be registered in ESTA to be eligible to travel without the visa stamp.

As far as 217, she appears to have been denied under INA 217(a)(8), which requires her to have a round trip transportation in order to enter the US on the Visa Waiver Program.

The only option she has now is to try to register in ESTA. If she is approved for VWP travel (i.e., successful registration in ESTA), she needs a round trip transportation ticket to be allowed entry.

Now, if she cannot register in ESTA successfully, the only remaining option is to get a visitor visa (B2) by applying for it through the US consulate or embassy abroad.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.