Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I married my husband in good faith but soon found out he was

Customer Question

hi, i married my husband in good faith but soon found out he was involved in many affairs. it became intolerable for me after 1 year and i returned to the uk. i am a dual citizen us/uk. it is now 4 years since i returned and have not been in good circumstances so have not done anything about the marriage. it is my understanding that he now wants citizenship and needs my passport details etc to secure this. i dont want to give them. i lost my townhome while supporting him and have no wish to hlep him. what can i do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for requesting me. I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Don't help him. Don't give him any of your information. And if you believe that he only married you for the green card, I would report him to ICE/HSI. A person like that should not get away with using you. There are two penalties for him. The first is under 18 U.S.C. § 1325(c), which provides a penalty of up to five years imprisonment and up to $250,000 fine for any "individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws."

The second is that he would lose U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency and will never be able to get it again, not even if he had U.S. Citizen children. As such, he would be deported.

You can report marriage fraud in three different ways:

1) You can go to http://www.ice.gov/exec/forms/hsi-tips/tips.asp and file the report there.

2) You can call the ICE hotline at 1-(866)(###) ###-####

3) You can contact the local USCIS field office by going to http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

You should have evidence of the marriage fraud handy in case they want to ask you questions or have you send evidence to them.

Don't let him get away with using you like that. Report him, please!

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.