Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Can I drive in Louisiana with a driver's license from China?

Customer Question

Can I drive in Louisiana with a driver's license from China? I am a visitor with B-2 visa. I was told that I can drive up to 90 days. But I cannot find any official document to prove it.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, US immigration authorities have nothing to do with whether one state allows a foreign traveler to drive with their foreign driver's license. Immigration authorities have no jurisdiction to determine that. Each state has its own driving laws and determines the eligibility to drive baed on its own traffic statutes. So in order to find out whether you, as a Chinese national, can drive in Louisiana with your Chinese driver's license, you need to contact the DMV in Louisiana.

What I do know is that most states will issue a driver's license to those who can show they are in the US in valid status. So if you are in the US with a valid visa and valid proof of your lawful B-2 status, then you should be able to get a driver's license that is valid for the time you are in the US.

I hope that helps. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job.

You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.