Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am applying citizenship and everything is good to go but I

Customer Question

I am applying for the citizenship and everything is good to go but I can not find my old passport and I don't have a Brazilian consulate in my city. I have a special needs little girl that I care for and it's very difficult for me to go to another state to get a new passport. My green-card will expire March next year and I don't know if I have time to arrange a trip to another state to obtain a new passport and include it with my application to the USCIS.What should I do? Will USCIS reject my citizenship application if I don't provide the copy of my passport? Thank you so much, Raquel.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. USCIS has a case-by-case basis approach to this. If it is virtually impossible to get a copy at the moment, but you are intent on sending off for citizenship now, one can do so and include in the cover letter the reasons why a copy of the Brazilian passport is not included. I am going to be honest, USCIS will likely send a NOTICE requesting this after receiving the application. This will buy someone in your situation about 60-180 days time (depending on application processing time) to actually get a copy.

Alternatively, one can simply not provide a copy and hope that the agent at the interview will understand. However, this is a "case by case basis" so it is best to be able to provide it, if possible. Perhaps the Brazilian consulate or embassy can do this by mail?

FINALLY note that a large reason why they want the copy of the passport is to see WHERE YOU HAVE TRAVELED outside the country based on the stamps in the passport. If you have not traveled outside the country, then USCIS is likely to be less demanding for the passport.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.