Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Am on 7th year of L1A..My L1A expires My 2016..I got my PERM

Customer Question

Hi..Am on 7th year of L1A..My L1A expires My 2016..I got my PERM approved and I-140 in process for EB2. Can you help me what options I have to continue my employment upon I-140 approval
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

There is nothing in the law to allow for the extension of your L1A beyond the 7th year.

Further, you cannot change status from L1A to H1B to take advantage of AC21 provision allowing for an extension of the H1B beyond the 6th year because you have no time left for an H1B. Any time on the L1A counts towards the 6 year maximum H1B.

Your only option is to depart the US for one year and reset the clock if your priority date is not current before May 2016 when your 7 years expires.

I am assuming you explored the EB1 option for an I-140 filed as an executive or manager of a multinational corp? And get your resident status under that category through your L1A employer which is current.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith