Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am from the Netherlands. Can I ask you a question about a

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** am from the Netherlands. Can I ask you a question about a visa overstay in Malaysia?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Have you met your girlfriend in person before or only over the Internet, Skype, etc.? Have you sent money already to help with perhaps airfare, a visa and/or passport? Is she asking you to send money to help her pay that fine for overstaying? How much?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do know her in person and I did not sent her any money. Why do you ask me that sir?

Because it is a scam. It is a classic fact pattern for a romance scam. I have heard of this happening many times. You have not answered the last question. How long did she overstay? How much is she being charged?

To look into the situation, I need to know what country she is from, how long she has overstayed, and how much she is saying that they are charging her. Please respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, okay thank you for warming me sir. I am glad to say that this is for real.
She had an overstay 6 days now and I was in contact with her just a moment agoo.
I was worried because I have been told that someone can even be detained in such a case.
Luckely she was so smart to contact dutch foreign affairs and she told me that thing will be arranged quickly and she will have to pay between rm100 and rm200 for each day overlay.
Do you have any additionele tips maybe for her? I will hear from her soon and get back to you.
Thanks so far.

Well, hopefully it is 100 to 200RM which is about 20 to 40 Euros. But just in case, here are the official government links:

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main-services/enforcement/overstayed

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main-services/enforcement/overstayed/7-perkhidmatan-utama/518-compound-act

At worst it could be 3000RM which is around 626 Euros. Since they have already told her what she needs to do and it is less than 7 days overstay, she should do what they have asked her which is go to the airport, pay the fine and leave as soon as she can/

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!